Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Apples to Apples: The Journey Begins

Hey everyone!

I'm really excited to embark on this 10 day journey that will hopefully be the start of a healthy habit for many years to come. (But I'm getting ahead of myself here. Let's take this one day at a time.) I just went crazy and bought ten different varieties of apples at the grocery store today. Not only will I endeavor to eat an apple a day for the next ten days, I decided to make things interesting by trying a different variety each day and keeping a journal about it. I've never been good at maintaining blogs or journals (heaven knows how many diaries I've gone through with only two pages filled out), so let's see if I can rise to the challenge.

I was inspired by a friend of mine who started a business that delivers apples to subscribing companies to allow employees access to a healthy snack option at work everyday. I didn't think I would be able to persuade a company as big as mine to subscribe to this service, but I thought, "Why don't I just bring my own apple to work everyday and eat it for breakfast?" I never have time to make breakfast in the mornings, so this would be an easy and healthy solution. One day a coworker brought in one of the newest apple varieties to hit the market (I think it's called Lady Alice), and gave out slices for a few of us to sample. We launched into a discussion about how this variety was similar or dissimilar to other apple varieties, and that gave me the idea to start apple tasting. I love wine tasting, olive oil tasting, cheese tasting, etc., so why not become a connoisseur of apples? I originally intended to just start a private apple journal in an excel file (being the actuary that I am), but I decided it might be fun to start a blog, and people might even get some use out of my soon-to-be expert knowledge about apples (ha!). And who knows, maybe I'll keep finding more varieties and extend this blog beyond the original ten!

So I stopped by the grocery store today and went to town in the apple aisle. I probably looked really funny grabbing ten bags and dropping only one apple in each (different varieties are not allowed in the same bag) and plopping them down one by one at the checkout counter. Now I got ten colorful apples sitting in my fridge, waiting to be devoured:


Tomorrow morning, let the madness begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment