Friday, March 14, 2014

Fabulous Fuji (and Crazy Apples!)


Before I get into the Fuji variety, which I randomly eeny-meeny-miny-moed as my second apple yesterday, I'm gonna talk about the Crazy Apple I tried today, which was not one of the original ten apples I got. I discovered these Crazy Apples for $1 each, also at Kress IGA. Basically, they're apples that are flavored on the inside with natural flavorings. You can read more about them on their website. They come in three flavors: Pomegranate Grape, Tropical Blast, and Bubble Gum (not sure what natural flavorings they use to make this one). The website says these are in every way just normal apples, except for the natural flavoring which has no added sugar. Apples are yummy just the way they are, but I have nothing against a little experimentation, and I was curious enough to give them a try. Plus, if I'm gonna write a blog about apples, I might as well venture out beyond just the traditional ones.

Here are my Crazy Apples. They come in individual bags, and are smaller than the average apple (maybe around three quarters the size of the other apples I bought).


The one I tried today was the Pomegranate Grape flavored one. According to the sticker on the apple, it was a Cameo. I bit into the apple, and a sweet burst of grape flooded my taste buds. It was a bit of a trippy experience. It had the same texture and everything as an apple, but it was like the apple juice had been swapped out for sweetened grape juice. My coworkers were grossed out by the idea, but I thought it was pretty good. Not better or worse than a regular apple, just different. Didn't taste much pomegranate, though. I admit, I'm excited about trying the bubble gum one. It's gonna be sooo weird!

Here's the nutritional info:



Alright, so let's talk about Fuji now. I had it yesterday morning, but didn't have time to write about it until today. This variety was developed in the 1930's at the Tohoku Research Center in Fujisaki, Japan (where it gets its name). It's a hybrid between the Red Delicious and the Ralls Janet, which are both American varieties. Fuji has now become one of the most popular apple varieties consumed in the US.

I'm happy to say that I tasted the difference between the Fuji and the Cameo the instant I bit into it. (Yay, my palate isn't so unrefined after all!). The Fuji is much more tart than the Cameo. It's skin is thicker, and has a much more subtle taste than the skin of the Cameo (I practically can't taste the Fuji skin). It also feels juicier, but I'm not sure if its sweetness just made me perceive more juice. The first second of each bite has the "green apple" taste (like in a Jolly Rancher), but then the tartness dissipates and it becomes just sweet. Near the edge (where the insides meet the skin), there's a hint of strawberry Starburst. The Fuji tastes a lot like candy, but more complex, with changing textures and flavors. Even its marbled yellow-red coloring makes it look like candy:



And no, that's not a humongous apple next to a regular-sized soccer ball. It's a regular-sized apple next to a mini soccer ball.

Here again are the tasting notes and nutritional info from Specialty Produce:

Description/Taste


Medium to large in size the thick skin of the Fuji apple is light red with a yellow blush and oftentimes is lined with red vertical stripes. Their interior creamy white flesh is dense, juicy and crisp. Low in acid its flavor is mild and sweet with hints of both honey and citrus.

Nutritional Value


Fuji apples contain vitamins A and C as well trace amounts of folate and potassium. They are a good source of both soluble and insoluble fiber, which has been shown to help prevent heart disease and promote healthy digestion. A medium sized Fuji apple contains about 80 calories and is high in both water and sugar.

Applications


The thick skin and dense flesh of the Fuji apple holds up extremely well when cooked. Add slices atop pizza or layer inside a quiche. Fuji apples can be roasted, baked, sauteed and even boiled down. Chop and slow cook chunks of Fuji apple to make jams, soups and compotes. Their sweet flavor holds up when cooked as well, try added to baked desserts such as strudels and crisps. - See more at: http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Fuji_Apples_914.php#sthash.8wRC70PT.dpuf
"Medium to large in size the thick skin of the Fuji apple is light red with a yellow blush and oftentimes is lined with red vertical stripes. Their interior creamy white flesh is dense, juicy and crisp. Low in acid its flavor is mild and sweet with hints of both honey and citrus.
Fuji apples contain vitamins A and C as well trace amounts of folate and potassium. They are a good source of both soluble and insoluble fiber, which has been shown to help prevent heart disease and promote healthy digestion. A medium sized Fuji apple contains about 80 calories and is high in both water and sugar. 


The thick skin and dense flesh of the Fuji apple holds up extremely well when cooked. Add slices atop pizza or layer inside a quiche. Fuji apples can be roasted, baked, sauteed and even boiled down. Chop and slow cook chunks of Fuji apple to make jams, soups and compotes. Their sweet flavor holds up when cooked as well, try added to baked desserts such as strudels and crisps."


And Stemlit gives these as the ideal pairings for Fuji apples:
Cheeses: Gorgonzola, Blue Cheese, Fontina, and Havarti
Wines: Pinot Noir, Madeira, and Sauternes

Orangepippin also has a bunch of information about each apple variety, including useful specs about the crop, as well as more tasting notes. I find this site interesting because it tells you about the variety's family relations, and you can try to trace out the whole family tree by clicking into each variety that it lists as an ancestor or descendant. It turns out, Fuji and Cameo are actually siblings, having Red Delicious as a common parent. Fuji's offspring include Senshu (a hybrid of Fuji and Toko) and a sport (genetically mutated variation) called Kiku. One of these days if I have time, I'll attempt to diagram the family tree and post it here, although it won't be easy, since apple relations aren't as clear-cut as people's family relations.

So there you have it. The Fuji has quite a different taste profile than the Cameo. Its flavors are more interesting and I really enjoyed this variety, but it's a bit much for everyday consumption. If I had to eat only one variety everyday for a period of time, I would still prefer the more traditional-tasting Cameo. But if I could only eat one last apple for the rest of my life, I would choose the Fuji over the classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment